Monday, October 15, 2012

Home Again!

Hello friends! Thank you for the support and friendship you all shared during this sad time. I spent the last week with my Mother, just she and I and of course the medical staff. She is home and has decided not to do anything curative. I have accepted that and am trying to be as brave as she is. She has always fascinated me and this situation has truly highlighted what a phenomenal woman she is. She looks death in the face and smiles graciously.

The week we spent together was a week I will always remember. We laughed until we cried, we looked at new fashion magazines and old pictures. I asked questions and she gave spirited answers. Though she has a distant look in her eyes, she has a new confidence. She isn't shy anymore, she is assertive. She asked for a Mounds candy bar. I replied, "oh mom, it isn't a good idea to eat it before your dinner". To which she replied, " If I am to full, I won't eat dinner, if I miss a meal I will be fine". She laughed and devoured the candy bar. She is so tiny now, but still very concerned with her appearance. She is such a lady!

I spent time in my childhood room, looking out the window while Mom was sleeping.


How many times had I daydreamed while looking out that window. I would dream of my future and now here I am living the life I had imagined, yet looking out the window trying to comes to terms with my Mother's fate.  Pleading with fate that time will be our friend!

I am home now and I realized how much I missed my family. My Mom was anxious for me to return to my family because that "is where I should be". Even though we live in the same city and I was only spending 7 days/24 hours a day with Mom - she felt I was needed elsewhere. Oh, that Mom of mine! Of course, I will continue to see her daily. A sibling is with Mom now taking her turn.

The Doctor has prepared us that at minute she will suffer a catastrophic event. She is ready, I am not.

On a happy note, Daughter# 1 has secured post graduation employment. I am so proud of her. I guess this is truly the "circle of life".

I probably won't update as often as I had before Mom became ill. But I do want to continue to connect with you! Thanks again friends!

6 comments:

  1. Such heartwarming affection and loyalty of a daughter to her mom. God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're back! What a lovely window and lovely memories. It's nice that you are having these good times with her even though it is, in fact, a terrible time. I love the candy bar philosophy, and we should probably all think that way. She is a wonderful lady.
    I'll be thinking of you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to losing your mom. My mom is 92 and declining as well. The long process is heart-breaking. I pray for a quick event for my mom, my dad too. He is 89. It' wearing on the heart to have the leaving be slow, for me anyway. I'm thinking of you, you are not alone in your grieving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about your mother. I haven't been blogging at all since around June and haven't been reading the blogs I follow. I was very sad to read this when I checked in today and it made me think of my own mother who was 79 this week and is very up and down in health. Like your mother, though, she is still concerned with her appearance and she too is a phenomenal woman!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about your mother. I haven't been blogging at all since around June and haven't been reading the blogs I follow. I was very sad to read this when I checked in today and it made me think of my own mother who was 79 this week and is very up and down in health. Like your mother, though, she is still concerned with her appearance and she too is a phenomenal woman!

    ReplyDelete